- (907) 474-6705
Alaska Sea Grant role
Support Alaska Sea Grant's communications efforts, including web and database updates, social media posts, writing, editing, reviewing, and consulting. Assist with database development and maintenance. Joined Alaska Sea Grant in September 1993. Officially retired from the university in July 2016 but continue to work part-time.
- B.A. Liberal Arts, 1989, Vermont College, Montpelier
- M.F.A. Creative Nonfiction, 2010, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Seminars, workshops, and conferences on Web design, database development, and social networking
Project coordination and management, editing, report-writing, website design and usability, search engine optimization, online and print publication production, and working with database users and developers.
Selected awards and accomplishments
(shared with Publications Manager)
- 2003 gold award, electronic publication, for Boatkeeper online series, Agricultural Communicators in Education (ACE) Critique and Awards program
- 2000 gold award, technical publications, for Field Techniques for Chionoecetes Crabs, ACE Critique and Awards program
- 1997 gold award, editing for a technical publication, for High Latitude Crabs, ACE Critique and Awards program
- 1996 third place, for Guide to Northeast Pacific Flatfishes, NAGC Blue Pencil Competition
What I do when not at Sea Grant
Train sled dogs and compete in local sprint races, and write about skijoring (skiing behind a dog in harness). Write poems and nonfiction essays and stories. Took up run/walking at age 54 and have completed several Equinox Marathons. Married to Sea Grant communications designer Dave Partee.
Selected (nonwork) publications
- Skijor With Your Dog. Second edition. Fairbanks: University of Alaska Press, 2012.
- "Defensible Space." The Northern Review 31 (fall 2009).
- "Elusive Lynx." Wild Moments: Adventures with Animals of the North. Fairbanks: University of Alaska Press, 2009.
- "Elusive Lynx." Alaska Quarterly Review, Spring & Summer 2007, "Hidden Alaska" special feature.
- "Dashing through the Snow." DogSport Magazine, January/February 2007.
- Skijoring: An Introduction to the Sport. 1988.