Communications Coordinator & Website Manager
- (907) 474-6705
Alaska Sea Grant role
Coordinate Alaska Sea Grant's communications efforts. Coordinate and develop Web presence, monitor online information and request content updates when needed. Encourage and monitor social networking efforts. Assist in coordination of database development and maintenance. Member of management team. Joined Alaska Sea Grant in September 1993.
- B.A. Liberal Arts, 1989, Vermont College, Montpelier
- M.F.A. Creative Nonfiction, 2010, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Seminars, workshops, and conferences on Web design, database development, and social networking
Project coordination and management, editing, online and print publication production, report-writing, website design and usability, search engine optimization, working with database users and developers, and rescuing houseplants.
Selected awards and accomplishments
(shared with Publications Manager)
- 2003 gold award, electronic publication, for Boatkeeper online series, Agricultural Communicators in Education (ACE) Critique and Awards program
- 2000 gold award, technical publications, for Field Techniques for Chionoecetes Crabs, ACE Critique and Awards program
- 1997 gold award, editing for a technical publication, for High Latitude Crabs, ACE Critique and Awards program
- 1996 third place, for Guide to Northeast Pacific Flatfishes, NAGC Blue Pencil Competition
What I do when not at Sea Grant
Train sled dogs and compete in local sprint races, and write about skijoring. Write poems and nonfiction stories. Began gardening in summer 2012. Took up run/walking at age 54, and enjoy competing in the Equinox Marathon. Married to Sea Grant communications designer Dave Partee.
Selected (nonwork) publications
- Skijor With Your Dog. Second edition. Fairbanks: University of Alaska Press, 2012.
- "Defensible Space." The Northern Review 31 (fall 2009).
- "Elusive Lynx." Wild Moments: Adventures with Animals of the North. Fairbanks: University of Alaska Press, 2009.
- "Elusive Lynx." Alaska Quarterly Review, Spring & Summer 2007, "Hidden Alaska" special feature.
- "Dashing through the Snow." DogSport Magazine, January/February 2007.
- Skijoring: An Introduction to the Sport. 1988.