Alaska Sea Grant research funding
Announcement of Funding Opportunity for 2018–2020
Alaska Sea Grant invites pre-proposals for research projects for the 2018–2020 biennium. We seek creative and innovative research proposals in the natural, social, and education sciences that address one of the following focus areas, further detailed in the 2018–2021 Strategic Plan [130 KB PDF]:
- Healthy Coastal Ecosystems
- Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Resilient Communities and Economies
- Environmental Literacy and Workforce Development
The deadline for pre-proposals is February 27, 2017.
Alaska Sea Grant program development and rapid response funding
Limited funds for "program development and rapid response" may be available between normal funding cycles. These funds allow us to take advantage of unforeseen and time-limited opportunities:
- to stimulate new areas of research
- to stimulate new areas of investment by other funding sources and/or stakeholders
- to respond quickly to new issues and opportunities
- to accommodate "transition" problems such as temporary funding gaps in critical ongoing projects
Prior to submitting a request for funds, please discuss your ideas with Alaska Sea Grant Director Paula Cullenberg.
If funds are available and your request meets current priorities, you will be asked to submit a 1- to 2-page written request that includes a project description, a justification of the need for development funds, and a budget outline. A response will normally be provided within 1–2 weeks of this submission.
National Sea Grant funding
Each year, the National Sea Grant Program (NSG) provides a variety of competitive funding opportunities for specific coastal and marine research. These are posted at the Sea Grant Funding and Fellowships page. National Sea Grant proposals are typically administered by the state Sea Grant College. Questions are welcome.
Other NOAA research opportunities
- NOAA Center for Sponsored Coastal Ocean Research
- NOAA Coastal Management Fellowship
- NOAA Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR) Research Programs
NOAA Fisheries offers a Fisheries Finance Program for construction or reconstruction of fishing vessels, fisheries facilities, aquacultural facilities, and individual fishing quota in the Northwest Halibut/Sablefish Fishery.