Information and Training Plan for Coaches and Teams
20th Annual Alaska Regional Ocean Sciences Bowl, "Alaska Tsunami Bowl"
February 17–19, 2017
Welcome to the 2017 Alaska Tsunami Bowl, the Alaska region competition of the National Ocean Sciences Bowl.
The Alaska Region NOSB consists of two parts: a tournament quiz-style academic competition, designed to challenge and recognize the students' knowledge of sciences in the context of the oceans, and a research project with written and oral components.
See the new Tsunami Bowl Coach Handbook [PDF; 86 KB] for more information.
- Schedule of events: The competition will run from 8 am Friday morning to approximately 3 pm Sunday afternoon. See the 2017 schedule of events.
- General information: Please see What is NOSB for general information on this competition. For information on how to participate, please see the Invitation to Coaches and other links at left.
- Research project: This year's topic is Resource Management in a Warming Pacific. See the research project page for guidelines and resources.
- Quiz bowl: Practice questions for the quiz bowl are available in PDF format.
- Online quiz game: Ocean Sciences Quiz
- Intent to participate: The Intent to Participate form is available online and as a printable form beginning September 1. Participation will be limited to one team per school until October 1. After that, if the limit of 20 teams has not been reached, additional teams from the same school may sign up. Teams are posted on the 2017 teams page as schools sign up.
Here are the dates and deadlines you'll need to remember.
|Dates||Action or event|
|September 1–October 1||One team per school allowed to sign up for the Tsunami Bowl. Schools and teams will be posted on the 2017 teams page as they sign up.|
|October 1||Additional teams from the same school can sign up for the Tsunami Bowl if space is available. Teams not in the first 20 to sign up will be placed on a waiting list and notified if any spaces open up.|
|November 15||Final deadline for Intent to Participate forms if the maximum 20 teams have not already signed up.|
|December 1||Research project manuscripts must be received electronically by the Tsunami Bowl coordinator.|
|January 9||Team registration forms with final team members listed are due. Also due: coach information forms and student information forms.|
|February 16||Artwork submitted to "Ocean Connection" art show must arrive at the Tsunami Bowl check-in site before 8 p.m.|
|February 17–19||"Alaska Tsunami Bowl" regional competition, Seward, Alaska. See 2017 schedule of events.|
|TBA||Optional video contest for Ocean Leadership will be announced.|
|April 20–23, 2017||NOSB finals competition, Corvallis, Oregon.|
- Rules for research project & quiz bowl [PDF; 516 KB]
- Document preparation guidelines
- Oral presentation guidelines
- Scoring rubric for written research paper [PDF; 254 KB]
- Scoring rubric for oral presentation [PDF; 242 KB]
- Practice questions for quiz bowl
- Art show submission information
If you have any questions, just ask!
- Marc Swanson, Alaska Tsunami Bowl coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dave Partee, Alaska Tsunami Bowl website, email@example.com