Faculty Archives: Alex Oliveira
Former Seafood Specialist
Associate Professor, UAF
Alex Oliveira left the Marine Advisory Program in September 2014.
Fisheries Chemistry • Seafood Processing and Engineering • Seafood Science and Technology
Professional activities are centered around topics of interest to the Alaska seafood industry, and include teaching HACCP and Better Process Control School, and organization and delivery of hands-on workshops in smoking and preservation of seafood products. I provide technical support to Alaska seafood industry members in seafood quality and composition, and processing of fishery products and byproducts. Research focus is in analytical seafood chemistry, seafood quality and processing, product development, utilization of fishery byproducts, and marine lipids and fish oils.
- B.S. 1990 Federal Fluminense University, Brazil (Industrial Chemistry)
- M.Sc. 1994 Instituto Militar de Engenharia (Organic Chemistry)
- Ph.D. 2000 University of Florida (Food Science and Human Nutrition)
- Postdoc 2001 Monell Chemical Sense Center, University of Pennsylvania (Analytical Organic Chemistry)
- Honor Society of Agriculture Gamma Sigma Delta
- Pacific Fisheries Technologists
- Institute of Food Technologists—Professional member
- Associacao Brasileira de Quimica
- Utilization of seafood byproducts
- Analytical methods in food chemistry
- Nutritional value of seafood products
- Seafood HACCP
- Fish oils and marine lipids
- Seafood processing and preservation
- Development of novel seafood products
Selected Research Projects
- Freeze-dried salmon: Omega-3 rich space food from Alaskan waters. Duration: 2012-13. Researchers: Alexandra Oliveira (UAF; PI) and Brian Himelbloom (UAF; co-PI). Alaska Space Grant Program (NASA EPSCoR).
- Extraction of cod liver oil and purification using short-path distillation. Duration 2012-13. Researchers: Alexandra Oliveira (UAF; PI) and Peter Bechtel (USDA- co-PI). Alaska Leader Fisheries & Aleutian Spray Fisheries (Private sector).
- Benthic lower trophic level food webs in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas: baselines and relevance of sea ice algal production. Duration: 2012-2015. Researchers: Katrin Iken (PI), Bodil Bluhm (co- PI), Alexandra Oliveira (co-PI). North Pacific Research Board.
- Replacing Ethoxyquin in Alaska Fishmeal: Is it possible?. Duration: June 2013- May 2014. Researchers: Alexandra Oliveira (PI) and Brennan Smith (co-PI). Pollock Conservation Cooperative Research Center