Assistant Professor, UAF
118 Trident Way
Kodiak, AK 99615
Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning, Harmful Algal Blooms, Marine Safety, Commercial Fishing, Recreational/Subsistence Fishing, Coastal Stewardship, Marine Literacy, and Regional Economic Development
- Commercial fisherman: longline-sablefish, halibut, cod, jig-cod
- Environmental Scientist: monitoring, remediation and consulting
- Kayak guide
- B.S. Biology/Spanish, University of Akron, 1996
- M.S. Biological Oceanography, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 2003
Recent or Relevant Projects
- Alaska Young Fishermen's Summit (AYFS)
- Alaska Harmful Algal Bloom Network (AHAB)
- Kodiak Area Marine Science Symposium (KAMSS)
- ComFish Alaska
- Implementation of Community Based PSP Testing for Subsistence and Recreational Shellfish Harvesting in Southwestern Alaska (Project funded through North Pacific Research Board)
PSP Community Monitoring and Education
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium (Old Harbor project)
- Kodiak Island Borough School District (ADEC funded community monitoring)
- Undergraduate education (Collaboration with Dr. Trussell at the UAA Kodiak College)
Healthy Coastal Ecosystems
- PlateWatch (Smithsonian Environmental Research Center)
- Kelp Watch
- Kodiak Seafood and Marine Science Center (KSMSC) Facebook
- AYFS Facebook
- AMSEA Vessel Drill Conductor Course
- AMSEA Ergonomics to Fish Workers
- Kodiak College Vessel Repair and Maintenance Local Advisory Committee (KOC-Maritime)
- Progressional training to commercial fishermen (Dock Talks at KSMSC, FiSHBiz, AYFS, other relevant)
- Chamber of Commerce Fish Subcommittee
- Latin American Women’s Association (ALMA)
- Filipino American Association (Fil-AM)
- ASMI Seafood Technical Committee
- Association for Women In Science, Alaska Chapter (AWIS-AK)
My border collie Sable, fishing, marine science, kayaking, hiking, and atv
I am home in Kodiak and I love my job with the Marine Advisory Program! More than any other, this position draws on all my experiences and allows me to creatively share my talents with the Kodiak archipelago.
- AMSEA Marine Safety Instructor Training
- AMSEA Vessel Drill Conductor Course
- First Aid / CPR
- 40 hr HAZWOPER w/ 8 hr refreshers
- 40 hr Asbestos
- North Slope Training Co-operative
- Contractor Quality Control
- SCUBA/Cold Water Certified
- Stevens, B.G., Persselin, S.L., & Matweyou, J.A. 2005. Cultivation of blue king crab larvae, Paralithodes platypus: Effects of diet, temperature, and density. Larvi '05 - Fish & Shellfish Larviculture Symposium. European Aquaculture Society, Special Publication No. 36. p 485-488. Oostende, Belgium.
- Plumley, F.G., J. Matweyou, and R. RaLonde. 2003. Harmful algal blooms in Alaska. In: Ecosystems Considerations for 2004. NPFMC Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands and Gulf of Alaska Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation (SAFE).
- Matweyou, J. A. 2003. Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning: The Relationship between Alexandrium abundance and PSP toxins on Kodiak Island, Alaska. M.S. Thesis. University of Alaska.
- Matweyou, J. A., Stockwell, D.A., Scholin, C.A., Hall, S., Trainer, V.L., Ray, J.D., Whitledge, T.E., Childers, A.R. & Plumley, F.G. 2004. Use of Alexandrium rRNA Targeted Probes to Predict Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning Events on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Steidinger, K.A., J.H. Landsberg, C.R. Tomas, and G.A. Vargo (Eds.). 2004. Harmful Algae 2002. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida Institute of Oceanography and Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO. p 267-269.
- Matweyou, J. A., Stockwell, D.A., Scholin, C.A., Hall, S., Trainer, V.L., Ray, J.D., Whitledge, T.E., Childers, A.R. & Plumley, F.G. 2002. Use of Alexandrium rRNA-Targeted Probes to PSP Events on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Xth International Conference on Harmful Algae, St. Pete’s Beach, FL. Poster presentation.
- Weeks, S.C., Crosser, B.R., Gray, M.M., Matweyou, J.A. & Zucker, N. 2000. Is there sperm storage in the clam shrimp Eulimnadia texana? Invertebrate Biology 119(2):215-221.