Business and Marketing
Please also see the FishBiz Project for Alaska fisheries business assistance.
Alaska's coastal communities depend upon income from fishermen and fishing businesses for their economic well-being. Rapid development of tourism, charter fishing, and other marine resource businesses present new opportunities for communities and individual enterprises. Business marketing and economic research are critical. Educational needs include financial analysis, marketing, retirement planning, and financing in formats that include workshops, short courses, credit courses, and publications.
The Marine Advisory Program is working to help Alaska's seafood and marine tourism industries through the development and delivery of business management educational programs. MAP also conducts economic analyses of specific Alaska fisheries and other marine businesses.
For more information, contact
- Quentin Fong, Marketing Specialist
- Terry Johnson, Recreation and Tourism Specialist
- Gabe Dunham, Dillingham Marine Advisory Agent
Marine business and marketing information from MAP
- Workshops and classes
- Sea Urchin Markets - Market feasibility project for shelf-stable sea urchin roe product in Asia.
- Seafood Roe Market in Hong Kong—Presentation on potential roe market in Hong Kong, China [13.3 MB PDF], by Quentin Fong, Alaska Sea Grant seafood marketing specialist
- Alaska Fishing Business Assistance Project (FishBiz)—a new website with information and resources for Alaska's fishermen, processors and marine-related businesses
- Charter Log newsletter by Terry Johnson
- Buying Insurance for Your Charterboat—clarifies the unique insurance requirements for charter vessel owners, and offers solutions to selecting insurance; available from the Alaska Sea Grant bookstore.
- Fishermen's Direct Marketing Manual—updated information on distribution, finding customers, packaging and shipping, and more; available from the Alaska Sea Grant bookstore.
- Getting the Most Value When Buying Fishing Vessel Insurance
- More business and marketing information from the Alaska Sea Grant bookstore