Developing a Harmful Algal Bloom Action Plan for Alaska
December 8–9, 2016
Contact: Ginny Eckert, firstname.lastname@example.org • (907) 796-5450
- HAB monitoring and event response in Washington — Jerry Borchert, WDOH
- Database platforms for HAB monitoring data — Stacey Buckelew, Axiom Data Science
- Lessons from HAB event responses in Alaska — Louisa Castrodale, ADHSS
- Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning in the Aleutian Islands — Melissa Good, UAF/Alaska Sea Grant Marine Advisory Program
- Ocean observing network activities – leveraging for sustainability — Carol Janzen, AOOS
- Addressing PSP on Kodiak Island — Julie Matweyou, UAF/Alaska Sea Grant Marine Advisory Program
- HAB monitoring and research in Arctic Alaska — Gay Sheffield, UAF/Alaska Sea Grant Marine Advisory Program
- Alaska HABs in the national context — Marc Suddleson, NOAA
- HAB monitoring and research in Southeast Alaska — Liz Tobin, UAF and Chris Whitehead, STA
- HAB monitoring and research in Southcentral Alaska — Catie Bursch, Kachemak Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve
Workshop location: Dena’ina Center, 600 W 7th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501
Lodging: Room reservations at the Hotel Captain Cook can be made on a space-available basis for December 7–10, 2016. For the discounted rate, please call (907) 276-6000 or toll free (800) 843-1950 and reference the Harmful Algal Bloom Workshop.
For more information and additional resources on HABs, see Overview: Harmful Algal Blooms in Alaska.
View the national HABs/hypoxia action plan, Harmful Algal Blooms and Hypoxia Comprehensive Research Plan and Action Strategy: an Interagency Report (PDF).
For a recent California HAB report see Framing the Scientific Opportunities on Harmful Algal Blooms and California Fisheries (PDF).
- Ginny Eckert (chair), College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences and Alaska Sea Grant, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Catie Bursch, Kachemak Bay Research Reserve
- Louisa Castrodale, Alaska Division of Public Health
- Julie Matweyou, Alaska Sea Grant Marine Advisory Program, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Molly McCammon, Alaska Ocean Observing System
- Rose Robinson, Kachemak Bay Research Reserve
- Liz Tobin, College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Chris Whitehead, Southeast Alaska Tribal Ocean Research, Sitka Tribe of Alaska