- (907) 474-2432
Alaska Sea Grant role
Web and publication design; custom graphics, multimedia, and photography. Joined Alaska Sea Grant in June 2004, after five years as Web Coordinator at the UAF School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences.
B.A. Philosophy, 1992, University of California at Berkeley; minor in Music.
Web design, publication design and layout, multimedia, and photography; graphics formats and software, especially Photoshop and InDesign; PHP/MySQL/FileMaker web & database programming. Macintosh system administration.
- Sea Grant publication shopping cart enhancements
- FishBiz Web site development
- Marine Advisory Program climate change adaptation Web site
Most rewarding contributions
- I designed and implemented the current ASG and Marine Advisory Program Web sites, and before that, the UAF School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences Web site. Using database development and computer programming expertise, I developed the ASG online bookstore, one of the most advanced of its kind at UAF. Recently, I developed the highly acclaimed ASG research project online report form and research proposal peer review form, streamlining the reporting process for scientists, reviewers, and ASG administrators.
- I design and prepare for printing the award-winning Alaska Coastal Calendar series, in addition to being a contributing photographer.
Awards (individual and group)
2006 First Place for calendars, National Association of Government Communicators; and APEX 2006 Award of Excellence, Design and Illustration, for the 2006 Alaska Coastal Calendar.
2006 Gold Award for technical publications, Association for Communication Excellence, for Biological Field Techniques for Lithodid Crabs.
2006 Bronze Award for 1–3 color popular publications, Association for Communication Excellence; and 2006 Award of Excellence for softcover books over 50 pages, National Association of Government Communicators, for Common Edible Seaweeds in the Gulf of Alaska.
Selected published photographs
- Dog Fancy, January 2008, February 2008
- Developing Cooperatives for the Alaska Seafood Industry (cover)
- Community-Based Coastal Observing in Alaska: Aleutian Life Forum (cover)
- Alaska Coastal Calendar, 2006
- Mushing Magazine, March 2005 (cover)
- Dog World, December 2004
- Sled Dog Sports Worldwide, November 2004
- Mushing Magazine, July 2004
- Mushing Magazine, May 2004
- Dog World, December 2003
- Mushing Magazine, November 2003 (cover)
What I do when not at Sea Grant
Play electric bass in local blues and rock bands, and jazz ensembles; photograph landscapes and sled dog races; play squash, tennis, basketball; nordic and downhill ski. Past president of Alaska Dog Mushers Association. Married to Sea Grant web coordinator Carol Kaynor.