- (907) 474-6703
Alaska Sea Grant role
Manage publishing efforts—manage peer review, edit publications, manage production. Assist with product distribution and publication marketing. Write Sea Grant newsletter, Fishlines. Joined Alaska Sea Grant in January 1988.
- B.S. Biology/Education, Ohio State University, Columbus
- M.S. Botany, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Science editing, publishing industry, publication presentation, production management.
Most rewarding contributions
- Managing peer review and production for the ~700-page 2009 Wakefield crab proceedings. The symposium leaders inspired the authors to get their papers in on time, the seven steering committee/book editors jumped right in when I asked them to name reviewers, and the generous reviewers took their job seriously and scrutinized the papers for gaps to fill. It is very rewarding to orchestrate this process, because all the partners give a lot of time and effort to produce a book of highly useful articles.
- Edited and managed production of Field Guide to Squids and Octopods. It was great to be part of the production team. Everyone had the highest standards and strove for the perfect product. The author gave us scientifically accurate, very well composed, error-free text and photos, but I still I enjoyed going over the text several times, and making it a bit cleaner each time. I keep a copy on my desk so I can admire every beautiful page.
Selected awards and accomplishments
- 2005 Outstanding Professional Skills award, Association for Communication Excellence
- Fifty awards for Sea Grant publications that I edited and produced (awards shared with authors and coworkers).
(editing and production)
- Field Guide to Sharks, Skates, and Ratfish of Alaska
- Marine Habitat Mapping Technology for Alaska
- Rat Control for Alaska Waterfront Facilities
- Planning for Seafood Freezing
- Resiliency of Gadid Stocks to Fishing and Climate Change
What I do when not at Sea Grant
I spend time with my family, run, hike, cross-country ski, and enjoy traveling and visiting art museums.