Education Services Manager
- (907) 474-6702
Alaska Sea Grant role
Plan and guide Alaska Sea Grant's communications activities, conceive and help create information products. Represent ASG at meetings/events. Member of management team. Joined Alaska Sea Grant in June 1988.
B.S. Natural Resources/Environmental Communication, University of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment, Ann Arbor
Identifying and applying communications and marketing techniques to convey useful information about Alaska's ocean and coastal resources to Alaskans. Skills in project management, strategic planning, writing, editing, photography, videography.
- Developing peer review criteria for Sea Grant communication proposals.
- Rewriting national Sea Grant policy and proceedings manual for communications.
- Lead writer for Alaska Sea Grant's 2004–2010 strategic plan and 2006–2008 Implementation Plan.
- Working with ASG staff to develop new marine education resources Web site.
- Led planning of 2006 National Sea Grant Communicators network conference with Extension Assembly in Puerto Rico.
- Alaska Sea Grant Biennial Report 2002–2004. Co-editor.
- Ocean Fury: Tsunamis in Alaska. Executive producer, writer, co-editor. Video was selected to be in the highly competitive San Francisco Ocean Film Festival in 2005 and was the featured film in the 2005 Alaska Ocean Film Festival. Video won awards for scriptwriting and animation from Association for Communication Excellence and documentary award from National Association of Government Communicators.
- Life on the Beach: Among Friends and Anemones. Executive producer, co-writer, editor, co-videographer. Video won an educational video award from National Association of Government Communicators, and a video/teacher guide production award from Association for Communication Excellence.
- The Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands: Region of Wonders. Project coordinator, editor, designer. Book won awards from Communications Concepts, Association for Communication Excellence, and National Association of Government Communicators.
- Ocean Treasure: Commercial Fishing in Alaska. Conceived and coordinated project, editor, co-writer. Book won awards from Association for Communication Excellence and National Association of Government Communicators.
- Visions of Undersea Alaska: 2005 Engagement Calendar. Editor/writer. Calendar won award from National Association of Government Communicators.
Most rewarding contributions
- Successfully applying my entrepreneurial bent, creative skills, and lifelong interest in natural resources to build and work with a quality professional communication staff that has established ASG Education Services as arguably the best overall communication shop in the 32-program Sea Grant network.
- On a tangible level, writing a successful $132,000 grant proposal to the North Pacific Marine Research program for the book, The Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands: Region of Wonders. I established chapter subjects based on suggestions by Rick Steiner; recruited Terry Johnson to write the main text and edited his narrative; researched, selected, and placed all graphics and illustrations (including shooting photos for the book); wrote all captions; researched and wrote several "Sea Science" sidebars; wrote the acknowledgments and preface; and designed the book.
Selected awards and accomplishments
- Chair, National Sea Grant Communications Steering Committee, 2006.
- Numerous state and national awards for marketing, writing, photography, and graphic design.
- Former president, member of board of directors, and newsletter editor/designer, Alaska Natural Resource and Outdoor Education Association.
- Kopasetic King of Swing Award, UAF Good Time Swing Dance Club.
What I do when not at Sea Grant
Build things and landscape around my house, shoot baskets and throw the football, read, listen to music, and add to my CD collection. As president and co-founder of the University of Alaska Good Time Swing Dance Club and a founding member of the Ballroom Dance Club of Fairbanks, Inc., I organize and promote swing and ballroom dances and lessons on and off campus, and dance every chance I get!