Invitation to Sponsors
Support Alaska's marine science students!
An invitation for donations to the annual Alaska Tsunami National Ocean Sciences Bowl
Each February, the annual Alaska Region National Ocean Sciences Bowl competition is held in Seward. This is a prestigious national academic contest. High school students who enter this competition learn about marine sciences and gain invaluable writing, public speaking and teamwork skills. Teams from all over Alaska participate in this competition. Many of these teams will need financial support to help with the expenses of their trip to Seward.
The Tsunami Bowl has two components:
- A quiz-game tournament that requires a sophisticated knowledge of environmental sciences, including oceanography, biology, geology, chemistry, physics and current events.
- A research project with a written report and an oral presentation to the other teams at the competition.
The quiz bowl includes three types of questions.
- Toss-up questions read orally and answered individually that require a sophisticated knowledge of environmental sciences, including oceanography, biology, geology, chemistry, physics and current events, as well as a fast reaction time.
- Bonus questions of the same type that are answered as a team.
- Team Challenge questions that are written out and require more in-depth analysis and interpretation of data by the team.
The winning Alaskan team will travel to the NOSB finals to compete against teams representing the other 24 regions from around the country.
To encourage the involvement of artistically inclined students, a juried art show titled The Ocean Connection: A Visual Celebration of Art and Science is held in conjunction with the Alaska regional competition. The show is displayed in the lobby of the Alaska SeaLife Center for two weeks.
To learn more about the NOSB competition and teams involved, I encourage you to explore this Alaska Tsunami National Ocean Sciences Bowl website, particularly our archives from past years' competitions.
What is needed?
For the Alaska Region NOSB we need help from individuals, businesses and industries in these three areas:
Logistic support in transporting, feeding, and housing high school teams (each with 5 members and a coach) for the regional competition in Seward.
Recognition of participants and winners in the form of awards, prizes and mementos of the competition.
Monetary contributions to support the competition, help with travel expenses, and for the purchase of prizes.
How sponsors will benefit from their participation
- Because participants come from across Alaska, sponsors get statewide exposure for their contributions. Major sponsors will be recognized in the event program, during the competition, and at the awards ceremony.
- All donations are tax deductible under section 170(b)(1)(A)(ii) of the IRS Code.
- Alaska Sea Grant hosts Alaska's NOSB website. Sponsors are listed here and, for sponsors at the $250 level and above, a link is provided to the sponsor's own website when available. Check out the current sponsor page (which has links to previous years' sponsors), as well as our archives.
- Students gain valuable teamwork skills that are not normally acquired in standard high school curricula. This makes them uniquely valuable potential employees.
Our sponsorship opportunities page gives more details about what sponsors receive in return for various levels of support.
Alaskans are dependent on the ocean and its diverse resources. This contest cultivates future citizens and leaders who are conversant about our marine environment.
You are invited to get involved in the National Ocean Sciences Bowl. We are interested in ALL forms of assistance. If you'd like to make a contribution, please print out our donation form (PDF) and send it in with your donation. Or you can donate online through the UAF Development Office. (Where the form asks what you wish your gift used for, choose "scholarship," and under scholarship name, enter "NOSB.") Please contact me if you have any questions or need further information.
Don't miss out on this outstanding chance to show your support for education and the talented, hard-working high school students who have the initiative to participate in this challenging tournament.
Alaska Tsunami Ocean Sciences Bowl Coordinator
Seward Marine Center
PO Box 730
Seward, Alaska 99664
Phone: 907-224-5261 or 907-224-4312