2011 Alaska Ocean Sciences Bowl Research Project: Humanity's impacts, reactions, and adaptations to natural oceanic or man-made phenomena.
The following papers were submitted by high school teams participating in the 2011 Alaska regional competition of the National Ocean Sciences Bowl. The papers following third place are listed in alphabetical order by school.
- Juneau-Douglas High School Absolute Vorticity: Potential Impacts of Pacific Salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.) Hatcheries on Pacific Herring (Clupea pallasii) in Lynn Canal
- Cordova High School–Prince William Sound Science Center Auto-Eviscerators: Effects of melting glaciers on nutrient flux to the Gulf of Alaska
- Kodiak High School Turbidites: The Effects of Fish Processing Bio-waste on the Ocean's Organisms and Nutrients
(in alphabetical order by city)
- Copper Center: Kenny Lake High School The Copper River Reds: The Potential Effects of an All-Alaska Gas Pipeline on Prince William Sound—Does the Benefit Outweigh the Cost?
- Cordova High School Inglorious Dawgsharks: Waste Not, Want Not: Finding Alternate Uses for Cannery Discharge
- Juneau-Douglas High School Ostentatious Otters: The Effects of Sea Otter (Enhydra lutris) Reintroduction in Southeast Alaska on the Dive Fisheries of Southern Southeast Alaska
- Ketchikan High School Phycodurus eques: Effects of Harmful Algal Blooms in Southeast Alaska
- Kotlik School The LYSD's Atomic Sea Ice: The Impact of Eutrophication on Marine Ecosystems and Its Relation to Village Life
- Kotzebue High School Northern Bullheads: Hotham Inlet Cyanobacterial Blooms: Cyanobacterial Blooms in the Arctic and Its Potential Effects
- Petersburg High School AquaTeen HungerForce: Invasive Tunicates and Their Impact on the Ecosystem Surrounding Petersburg, Alaska
- Scammon Bay School Tidal Waves: Climate Change
- Seward High School Smack WHAT?!: Jellyfish Blooms and Their Effects in the Sea of Japan
- Unalaska City High School Frisky Phromina: Increased Marine Transportation in Unalaska Bay and Its Future Implications
- Unalaska City High School Teal Turtles: The Implications of Increased Marine Debris on Unalaska Bay
- Wasilla: Mat-Su Career & Technical High School Mat-Tsunami: The Sensitive Baltic Sea
- Wasilla: Mat-Su Career & Technical High School The Tiger Sharks: Effects of Cyanide Fishing on the Coral Reefs of Wakatobi Marine National Park
- Wasilla High School Anthozoa: Management of Marine Resources after an Exxon Valdez0Type Oil Spill near Kaktovik, Alaska