Information and Training Plan for Coaches and Teams
16th Annual Alaska Regional Ocean Sciences Bowl, "Alaska Tsunami Bowl"
Seward, Alaska, February 8–10, 2013
Welcome to the 2013 Alaska Tsunami Bowl, the Alaska region competition of the National Ocean Sciences Bowl.
- Schedule of events: The draft 2013 schedule of events is posted.
- General information: Please see What is NOSB for general information on this competition. For information on how to participate, please see the Invitation to Coaches and other links at left.
- Rules: Rules for research project & quiz bowl [PDF; 3 MB].
- Research project: This year's topic is "Estuarine Systems and the Importance of Freshwater in Marine Science."
- Quiz bowl: Practice questions for the quiz bowl are available in PDF format.
- Intent to participate: The Intent to Participate form is available online, or you can fax or mail in the printable form. Participation will be limited to one team per school until October 1, 2012. After that, if the limit of 20 teams has not been reached, additional teams from the same school may sign up. Teams are posted on the 2013 teams page as schools sign up.
- Team registration: Team registration for the Tsunami Bowl will be online this year. Once you have successfully submitted an “Intent-to-Participate” form, you will receive instructions for completing the online team registration.
The Alaska Region NOSB consists of two equally weighted parts: a tournament quiz-style academic competition, designed to challenge and recognize the students' knowledge of sciences in the context of the oceans, and a project with written and oral components. The project meets all of the State of Alaska high school English standards, including writing.
Here are the dates and deadlines you'll need to remember.
|Dates||Action or event|
|September 1–October 1, 2012||One team per school allowed to sign up for 2013 Tsunami Bowl. Schools and teams will be posted on the 2013 teams page as they sign up.|
|October 1, 2012||Additional teams from the same school can sign up for 2013 Tsunami Bowl if space is available. Teams not in the first 25 to sign up will be placed on a waiting list and notified if any spaces open up.|
|November 15, 2012||Final deadline for Intent to Participate forms if the maximum 25 teams have not already signed up.|
|November 30, 2012||Research project manuscripts must be received electronically by Phyllis Shoemaker.|
|January 7, 2013||Team registration forms with final team members listed are due. Also due: coach information forms and student information forms.|
|February 8, 2013||Artwork submitted to "Ocean Connection" art show must arrive at the Tsunami Bowl check-in site before 8 a.m. (See art show invitation flyer [PDF; 180 KB] for more information.)|
|February 8–10, 2013||2013 "Alaska Tsunami" regional competition, Seward, Alaska. See Schedule of Events.|
|March 11, 2013||Optional "Living on the Ocean Planet" video contest entries are due to the Consortium for Ocean Leadership.|
|April 18–21, 2013||NOSB finals competition, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.|
If you have any questions, just ask!
- Phyllis Shoemaker, Alaska NOSB coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carol Kaynor, web coordinator, email@example.com