Juried Art Show: "Ocean Connection"
A visual celebration of art and science
- Art show flyer [PDF; 180 KB]
The NOSB Ocean Connection Juried Art Show is open to all ocean-themed artwork created by high school students (grades 9–12) from schools participating in the NOSB competition. Students do not have to be members of a NOSB team to submit art.
Artwork submitted must be original and created solely by the participating student during the current school year. No published, traced, or copied materials are allowed. To see previous winners of the art shows and examples of previous artwork, check out the NOSB archives.
The NOSB juried art show is open to all media (drawing, painting, photography, original prints, mixed media, sculpture, pottery, jewelry, textiles, computer graphics, etc.). Art is juried by a panel made up of professional working artists.
Categories may include
painting, drawing, photography, print-making
sculpture, pottery, jewelry
- Mixed Media
fiber, collage, etc.
- Computer Graphics
Awards may include
- Best of Show
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each category
- up to two honorable mentions in each category
The number of awards in each category and the final placement of art into a category are at the discretion of the judges.
Winners receive a NOSB lapel pin, award ribbon and certificate of merit.
Instructions for Submitting Works
All pieces should be labeled with the following information in the lower right-hand corner on the back side of the piece:
- Name of artist
- Title of work
- Media category
- School name
- Artist's grade in school
- Teacher's name
All work must be submitted ready to hang or display.
- Plexiglas should be used for framed artwork (glass is not recommended).
- Matted and shrink-wrapped works are acceptable, but must be equipped with a secure method for hanging.
- Pieces not ready for hanging will not be included in the art show and will be returned to the submitting school.
- All artwork must be dropped off or mailed in adequate packaging so that it can be returned to the submitting school, and must have arrangements for pick-up or return shipping to the submitting school.
- Submitted works must arrive before the NOSB competition begins to allow time for setup and judging. All artwork must be available for display for the duration of the art show. Artwork will be returned in early March.
An art show reception and award ceremony is held for artists, guests and the public during the NOSB competition, and is customarily located at the Alaska SeaLife Center lobby.
For more information
Alaska Region NOSB Coordinator
Seward Marine Center
University of Alaska Fairbanks
PO Box 730
Seward, AK 99664
(907) 224-4312 or 224-5261