Sea Grant publications and videos win awards
6 June 2005
Fairbanks, Alaska—Alaska Sea Grant received seven awards, including an unprecedented five first-place honors, for excellence in publication and video production from the National Association of Government Communicators (NAGC). Kurt Byers, Sea Grant education services manager, accepted the awards at the recent annual NAGC meeting in Austin, Texas. More than 600 entries were judged in the competition.
- First place, hardcover book: Advances in Seafood Byproducts by Peter Bechtel—Sue Keller, editor; Kathy Kurtenbach, layout; Tatiana Piatanova, cover design.
- First place, calendars: Visions of Undersea Alaska: 2005 engagement calendar—Kurt Byers, editor/writer; Tatiana Piatanova, graphic artist.
- First place, educational video: Life on the Beach: Among Friends and Anemones—Kurt Byers and Marilyn Sigman, executive producers; Nancy Sefton, videography and editing; Doug Schneider, video/audio editing.
- First place, animation, and third place, documentary: Ocean Fury: Tsunamis in Alaska—Kurt Byers, executive producer; Elena Suleimani and Roger Hansen, coproducers; Miho Aoki, Roger Edberg, and Sergei Maurits, animators.
- First place, softcover book, outside-produced: Field Guide to Bird Nests and Eggs of Alaska's Coastal Tundra by Tim Bowman—Sue Keller, editor; Chris Hitchcock, designer.
- Second place, softcover book, in-house produced: The Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands by Terry Johnson, Sea Grant Marine Advisory specialist—Kurt Byers, editor/designer; Doug Schneider, audio production; Sue Keller, copyeditor; Kathy Kurtenbach and Tatiana Piatanova, prepress.
In addition, the Association for Communication Excellence (ACE) granted two Gold Awards, in production and graphic design, to Alaska Sea Grant's book, The Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands: Region of Wonders. ACE also honored this publication with an Outstanding Professional Skill Award for publishing. The Gold Award winners from each class in the publishing category were measured against each other and The Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands was judged the "best of the best."
ACE also awarded a Silver for video/teacher guide production for Life on the Beach: Among Friends and Anemones—Kurt Byers and Marilyn Sigman, executive producers; Nancy Sefton, videography and editing; Doug Schneider, video/audio editing; Sue Keller, teacher guide editing; and Kathy Kurtenbach, teacher guide formatting.