Assistant Professor, UAF
400 East Front Street
Nome, AK 99762
Marine ecology, marine mammals, subsistence harvest of marine resources, foraging ecology and diet.
- B.S. Environmental Conservation, University of New Hampshire
- M.S. Marine Biology, University of Alaska Fairbanks
More than 20 years' experience as a marine mammal biologist working on multispecies marine mammal projects, often among coastal communities in western and northern Alaska, primarily in the Bering Strait region.
- Arctic Institute
- Society for Marine Mammalogy
- Reeves, R., C. Rosa, J.C. George, G. Sheffield, and M. Moore. 2012. Implications of Arctic industrial growth and strategies to mitigate future vessel and fishing gear impacts on bowhead whales. Marine Policy 36:454–462.
- Moore, S.E., J.C. George, G. Sheffield, J. Bacon, and C.J. Ashjian. 2010. Bowhead whale distribution and feeding near Barrow, Alaska, in late summer 2005–06. Arctic 63(2):195–205.
- Sheffield, G., and J.M. Grebmeier. 2009. Pacific walrus (Odobenus rosmarus divergens): Differential prey digestion and diet. Marine Mammal Science 25(4):761–777.
- Dehn, L.A., G.G. Sheffield, E.H. Follmann, L.K. Duffy, D.L. Thomas, and T.M. O'Hara. 2007. Feeding ecology of phocid seals and some walruses in the Alaskan and Canadian Arctic as determined by stomach contents and stable isotope analysis. Polar Biology 30(2):167–181.
- Koski, W.R., J.C. George, G. Sheffield, and M.S. Galginaitis. 2005. Subsistence harvests of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) at Kaktovik, Alaska, 1973–2000. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 7(1):33–37.
- Lowry, L.F., G. Sheffield, and J.C. George. 2004. Bowhead whale feeding in the Alaskan Beaufort Sea, based on stomach content analysis. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 6(3):215–223.
- Simpkins, M.A., L.M. Hiruki-Raring, G. Sheffield, J.M. Grebmeier, and J.L. Bengtson. 2003. Habitat selection by ice-associated pinnipeds near St. Lawrence Island, Alaska, in March 2001. Polar Biology 26(9):577–586.
The Bering Strait region is the crossroads of marine resources, cultures, countries, and opportunities!