Associate Professor, UAF
PO Box 526
Unalaska, AK 99685
- Marine literacy, community outreach, marine ecology
- Invertebrate zoology, intertidal ecology, scientific diving, coastal monitoring, and public outreach
- Research diving on UAF projects (Pycnopodia helianthoides, Nereocystis luetkeana, juvenile fish species in Kachemak Bay, Chrysaora melanaster and Theragra chalcogramma.
- Teaching Assistant (Invertebrate Zoology, Fundamentals of Biology I & II, and Introduction to Biology)
- PADI Divemaster (over 400 coldwater dives)
- U.S. Army Helicopter Pilot (3 years), U.S. Army Rappel Master (2 years)
- B.S. Environmental Science/ Systems Engineering, United States Military Academy at West Point, 1995
- M.S. Marine Biology, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 2003
- Ph.D. student, Marine Biology, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Community lecture organizer
- Newspaper column in Dutch Harbor Fisherman
- Conference organizer
- Coastal monitoring organizer
- UAF credit courses (MSL 111, BIOL 150, MSL 420)
- Summer tidepool camps for kids
- Culture camp mentor (Camp Qungaayux)
- AMSEA commercial fishing safety courses
- NOSB coach and instructor
- Chair, Unalaska Divers Association (2007-current)
- Secretary, Advisory Committee, Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Unalaska (2007-current)
- Board of Directors, International Port of Dutch Harbor Convention and Visitors Bureau (2006-2009)
- Chair, Hiring committee for the COSEE Alaska Education Specialist position, UAF (Fall 2008)
- Board of Directors, Museum of the Aleutians (2006 – 2008)
- American Academy of Underwater Scientists
- Western Society of Naturalists
- National Marine Educators Association
- Sigma Xi Research Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- CoPI. Tagging studies to estimate local biomass, growth, and natural mortality of giant Pacific octopus
- CoPI. Field Studies in Support of Stock Assessment for the Giant Pacific Octopus
- PI. Environmental outreach and education efforts as part of the Kuroshima Oil Spill Restoration Implementation Plan 2007-2011.
- CoPI. Social Vulnerability to extreme weather in the Alaska Coastal Zone 2006-2010.
- Associate. Unifying the Vision: Advancing an Alaskan Regional Research Plan 2007-2010.
- CoPI. Exposure of Wintering Sea Ducks to Disease Agents and Parasite Burdens 2006-2010.
- Scientific diver and taxonomist. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program 2006 – 2007.
- Scientific divers and taxonomist. ShoreZone project around Afognak Island 2006.
- CoPI. Octopus capture techniques and tagging using Northwest Marine Technology Visible Implant Elastomers 2005
- Jewett, S.J. et al. (in prep). Seastars of the Aleutian Islands. Alaska Sea Grant. 100 pp.
- Brewer, R.S. et al. (in press). Marine Life of the Aleutian Islands. 120 pp.
- Jewett, S.J., R. Brewer, H. Chenelot, R. Clark, D. Dasher, S. Harper, and M. Hoberg. 2008. Scuba techniques for the Alaska Monitoring and Assessment Program (AKMAP) of the Aleutian Islands, Alaska. Diving For Science: 2008 Proceeding of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 27th Scientific Symposium.
- Brewer, R.S. October 2008. Diver Magazine. Alaska’s Aleutian Islands. 5 pages.
- Brewer, R.S. (editor) May, 2007. Community-Based Coastal Observing in Alaska. Proceedings from the Aleutian Life Forum 2006. 107 pp.
- Brewer, R.S. April 2007. Alaska Seas and Coasts. Monitoring Changes in Alaska’s Coastlines. 13 pages.
- Barry, P., R. Brewer, J. Browning, J. Grund, D. Scheel, D. Tallmon and S. Tamone. March 2007. AFDF Final Report. Investigation of tagging methods and tracking for Giant Pacific Octopus (Enteroctopus dofleini) in Southcentral Alaska. Award Number: COBS: NA04NMF4540379.
- Brewer, R.S. (editor) May, 2006. Proceedings from the Aleutian Life Forum 2005. The Selendang Ayu Oil Spill: Lessons Learned. 124 pp.
- Brewer, R.S. and B. Konar. 2005. Chemosensory responses and foraging behavior of the seastar Pycnopodia helianthoides, Marine Biology 147: 789-795.