Associate Professor, UAF
PO Box 814
Cordova, AK 99574
- Innovation through collaborative longline and seabird avoidance research
- Marine water safety in the Prince William Sound
- Federal and state food safety training
- Seafood direct marketers support with business planning, market access, and shipping logistics
- Alaska Ocean Observing (AOOS) system PWS outreach coordination
Commercial fishing, seafood marketing, community education, distance education
Alaska Marine Safety Education Association, PWS Advisory Committee to Alaska Boards of Fish and Game, Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Public Advisory Committee, Association of Natural Resource Extension Professionals, American Fisheries Society, Cordova District Fishermen United, United Fishermen of Alaska
- B.A. University of Washington
- M.Ed. University of Alaska Anchorage
Torie greets (l to r) Flaxen Conway, OSU Sea Grant, and extension educators Jon Newkirk and Dennis Fiess, WSU Western Center for Risk Management during an Alaska visit.
- Community Science Mug-up Lecture Series: In partnership with the Prince William Sound Science Center, we provide visiting marine resource researchers with public lecture opportunities throughout the winter. Contact me if you are visiting Cordova soon.
- Onboard safety drills certification, salmon quality handling and HACCP courses are annually available through the MAP office.
The Cordova harbor in October. A fleet of 600 salmon gillnet and seiners homeport in this southeast Prince William Sound community.
Talkin' fish biz with seiners in Valdez during the 2004 TAA technical assistance workshops.
Explaining personal flotation devices to younger members of the Cordova fishing fleet during USCG Community Marine Safety Day, May 2006.
More than 70 Cordovans have taken the LFS/MAP gillnet hanging class since last year. (Photo by Deborah Mercy, MAP)