More than 75% of Alaska's 650,000 residents live on the coastline. Other than the Anchorage-Kenai Peninsula region, most of the 100+ coastal communities in Alaska are not road-connected. Salmon, herring, halibut, and black cod fishing are the economic backbone of many communities. Tourism and shellfish aquaculture are growing sources of economic diversification, as is seafood processing.
Alaska's coastal residents depend on the marine and freshwater resources of their regions for their cash income, subsistence economy, and cultural and recreational well-being. Sustainable use of marine resources is critical to the future of coastal Alaska. Marine Advisory Program offices are located in nine coastal sites and work closely with local residents to increase economic diversification and to conserve these resources through access to technical assistance and training. Our goals in community development include:
- Assist with development of coastal economies that relate to marine resources.
- Assist in capacity-building to increase local skills and self-sufficiency.
- Promote stewardship of coastal resources through research, teaching, and public service.
For more information contact
- Paula Cullenberg, AK Sea Grant Director and Coastal Community Development Specialist
- Quentin Fong, Seafood Marketing Specialist
- Terry Johnson, Marine Recreation and Tourism Specialist
Links to community development information from MAP
Fisheries and marine scientists and managers are employment opportunities in rural Alaska. A new website is dedicated to helping students, educators and employers support more young Alaskans pursuing these careers.
- Y-K Delta Resources Project
- Preparing for a Career in the Marine Industries (Presentation by Terry Johnson) - [pdf; 2.5mb]
- Introduction to Financial Management - Introducción al Manejo de su Dinero - February 13, 2010
- How to start a Small Business in Kodiak - Cómo Iniciar un Negocio Pequeño en Kodiak - December 16, 2009
- Abstract Knowledge and Preferences of School Nutrition Policies and Fish Products of Alaskan School District Menu Planners [pdf: 164k]
- Technical Support Workshop and Development Summit for Community Quoto Entities (CQE's) - February 2009
- The Kodiak Experience (Tourism Survey) - Report [pdf: 164k] Presentation [pdf: 356k]
- Capacity Building of Alaska Natives and Rural Alaskans in Fisheries and Marine Science—October 2006
- Capacity Building of Rural Alaskans in Fisheries/Environmental Monitoring and Research—January 2005