Call for Papers
7th Western Alaska Interdisciplinary Science Conference and Forum, "Science of a Cold Place in a Warming World"
The abstract submission deadline has passed. The information below is for historical purposes only.
Abstract deadline: April 1, 2014
Since 2008 WAISC has brought together scientists, rural Alaska leaders and community members, educators, and students to discuss science, research, and issues relevant to western Alaska. The 2014 conference will highlight regional scientific efforts and community-based projects and local expertise. Organizers welcome submissions drawn from all disciplines that use a scientific approach to address questions and issues of concern to western Alaska communities.
Scientific session and workshop topics
- Mining in Western Alaska
- Subsistence and Traditional Ecological Knowledge
- Ecology and Wildlife
- Watershed Protection
- Linking Art and Science
- Science Education in Rural Alaska
- Waste Management and Disposal
- Community Advocacy
- Marine Mammals
- Social Science in Western Alaska
- Reindeer Herding
Abstract submission for scientific presentations or workshops
Abstracts for oral and poster presentations or workshops are invited and should be submitted before April 1st, 2014, via email to Anshul Pandya as either a PDF or Word attachment. Abstracts should be no more than 350 words for oral (15 minutes) or poster presentations and 600 words for workshops (up to 1 hr 30 minutes), single-spaced, and should include the following information:
Format for abstracts for oral or poster presentations
- Author name, title, email, and institutional affiliation
- Presentation title
- Abstract (less than 350 words) including research question, methods, data, and results
Abstracts for workshops or sessions
- Name of workshop leader and team members, their titles and institutional affiliation
- Workshop or session title
- Description of workshop activities, materials provided by the workshop team, other materials needed, anticipated length of workshop (up to 1 hr 30 min)
Notifications of proposal acceptance will be sent by April 4th, 2014. Presenter must register for the conference at the time of submission of abstract.
Please contact Anshul Pandya, Assistant Professor of Biosciences, UAF Chukchi Campus, Kotzebue, 907-442-3400, ext. 715. Preferred means of contact is email: email@example.com