Extended Call for Papers
6th Western Alaska Interdisciplinary Science Conference and Forum, "Rural Science in Action"
Abstract deadline extended until February 27, 2013
Since 2008 WAISC has brought together scientists, rural Alaska leaders and community members, educators, and students to discuss science, research, and issues relevant to western Alaska. The 2013 conference will highlight regional scientific efforts and community-based projects, including work based in traditional knowledge and local expertise. Organizers welcome submissions drawn from all disciplines that use a scientific approach to address questions and issues of concern to western Alaska communities.
Scientific session and workshop topics
- Mining in Western Alaska
- Subsistence and Traditional Ecological Knowledge
- Ecology and Wildlife
- Watershed protection
- Linking Art and Science
- Science Education in Rural Alaska
- Waste Management and Disposal
- Community Advocacy
- Marine Mammals
- Social Science in Western Alaska
- Reindeer Herding
Abstract submission for scientific presentations or workshops
Abstracts for oral and poster presentations or workshops are invited and should be submitted before February 27, 2013, via e-mail to Claudia Ihl (email@example.com) as either a PDF or Word attachment. Abstracts should be no more than 250 words for oral (15 minutes) or poster presentations and 500 words for workshops (up to 1 hr 30 minutes), single-spaced, and should include the following information:
Abstracts for oral or poster presentations
- Author name, title, email, and institutional affiliation
- Presentation title
- Research question, methods, data, and results
Abstracts for workshops
- Name of workshop leader and team members, their titles and institutional affiliation
- Workshop title
- Description of workshop activities, materials provided by the workshop team, other materials needed, anticipated length of workshop (up to 1 hr 30 min)
Notifications of proposal acceptance will be sent by March 1st, 2013. If a proposal is accepted, the presenter must register for the conference in order to participate.
See our Travel Funding page for information on financial assistance. Please be aware that funding may have been used up toward the end of the abstract submittal period.
Please contact Claudia Ihl, Assistant Professor of Biology, UAF Northwest Campus, Nome, 907-443-8417, firstname.lastname@example.org