Beating the Odds: A Guide to Commercial Fishing Safety 7th edn
Susan Clark Jensen and Jerry Dzugan
- Pub. no.: MAB-41
- Year: 2014 (Seventh Edition)
- Pages: 264
- Size: 5.5 x 8.5 inches
- Price: $15.00
- ISBN: 978-1-56612-178-1
- DOI: http://doi.org/10.4027/bonw.2009
- Table of contents (PDF)
For more than two decades, hundreds of safety trainers, including the U.S. Coast Guard, have relied on this book* as their primary reference and teaching tool. The seventh edition features substantial renewal to the chapters on first aid, sea survival, and drills, plus updates to all chapters. The content has been revamped to make the book useful worldwide, in warm as well as cold regions. Among other USCG-approved safety information, the book includes directions on conducting safety drills mandated by the Commercial Fishing Industry Vessel Safety Act of 1988 (P.L. 100-424).
Working at sea can be extremely hazardous, even for those with years of experience. The book tells
• How fishermen can prevent and survive accidents on board the fishing boat.
• How to prepare the vessel, maintain safety gear, and train the crew so problems don't escalate into disaster.
• Step-by-step instructions on conducting emergency drills required to meet federal requirements for crew training.
For the green crew member or experienced fisherman, Beating the Odds is an excellent and readable resource on safety and survival worldwide.
- APEX Award of Excellence, one-of-a-kind government publications, 2003
- Third Place, popular publications for content and presentation, Agricultural Communicators in Education, 1993
- First Place, books for general audience, National Association of Government Communicators, 1993
- Notable Documents Award for outstanding content and presentation, American Library Association, 1992